Monday, March 19, 2012

Exploring Magnetism





I've seen a lot of ideas over the years for discovery bottles and have always thought my kids would love them but I guess I've never had enough gumption to make some up.  When I ran across this idea from Pre-school Play I couldn't pass it up though.  It looked like too much fun! (And there are many more great ideas over there.)


I gathered up an empty tennis ball canister, some cut up pipe cleaners, scissors, and a couple strong magnets from off the fridge.


My kids had a great time maneuvering their magnets around the bottle to pick up the pipe cleaners.


After a while they took off the lid and discovered there was more fun to be had.


They took turns using their magnets to maneuver the pipe cleaners up the side of the jar and out.


It was easier said than done but after discovering the right technique they got quite good at it.  The pipe cleaners were then sorted into colors and they had a great time seeing which color was in the lead.

I don't think we'll get tired of this one for a long time.


4 comments:

  1. This looks like fun! What a creative way to learn about magnets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the smile on your daughters face! Says it all - science is great!

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy & Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Love the concentration on the little guy's face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can just see the possibilities for party games here...using the same basic principle! Thanks for the inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete